Weekend Trip to Leavenworth


Mr. D and I decided to celebrate our last anniversary just the two of us by visiting Leavenworth, a German Bavarian themed town a couple hours drive from where we live. I hadn't been to Leavenworth since high school cross country, so I enjoyed remembering some of my memories from that trip and experiencing the place with my sweetheart before we welcome our son into our family. 

We invited my parents to come on the trip with us and were a little worried our trip might be cold, but the weather was surprisingly warm and sunny!




We chose to go the first weekend of April during the town's taste Leavenworth event and purchased "passports" with coupons/vouchers to try food at participating shops. One shop gave us jars of pear preserves in exchange for our coupons and had samples of mustards, jams, and hot sauces to try with stick pretzels. One sauce was advertised as especially hot and had a special warning sign in a picture frame on it warning people about the heat. I actually remembered the sign from 10 years ago when a friend had tried the sauce (less than a drop) and was desperate for ice cream due to the heat. I told Mr. D he should try the sauce, since he loves trying spicy sauce, and warned him about how hot it would be and to make sure to only try a small amount. After warning my husband, I saw my dad taking a good-sized sample-- a size I believed would be regrettable the moment it reached his mouth. I yelled, "No dad, don't try all of that! Start with a drop, and that will even be too much!!" My dad listened, let a drop fall on his tongue and didn't bother finishing the remaining sample on his pretzel stick. Mr. D said the sauce was the hottest sauce he had ever tried and they were both glad we were close to a gelato place that accepted our "passports".

Here is a list of some of the things we tried:


We also visited a nutcracker museum where we enjoyed seeing over 5 thousand nutcrackers. We learned about how they are built, the history of nutcrackers, and enjoyed their detail. I did feel third-trimester tired though and ended up taking a brief nap on the floor. I can now understand why adults normally don't nap on the floor, haha. In addition to enjoying the traditional nutcrackers, we saw a couple nutcrackers that made us laugh such as the "Jack the Hacker" nutcracker and Mormon missionary nutcrackers.





Under the gazebo area they had live music performances that we enjoyed listening to:

We loved walking around the quaint town of Leavenworth and building new memories together. We are so glad to be celebrating our fourth anniversary this month and are looking forward to bringing in a new member to our family. 

-Mr. D and Mrs. M


Comments